Summer Reading Seminar:
The Biography of Sigmund Freud- “A Life For Our Time”
Instructor: Wally Fletcher, D.Min. NCPsyA
In anticipation of offering our two required courses on Freud’s psychoanalytic theory and treatment beginning again this fall, Dr. Wally Fletcher, NCPsyA will offer an 8-week summer reading seminar on Peter Gay’s definitive biography: Freud-A Life for Our Time.
Every major psychoanalytic theory has autobiographical roots and Freud’s is the prototypical example as Gay’s biography makes clear. Gay is a renowned historian and writer. He is also a wonderful storyteller made more compelling by the commitment to truth-telling he shares with his subject.
Ours are anxious times as were the times in which Freud developed his theories and techniques of psychoanalysis. Some of his most productive and socially isolated times were the years before the First World War through those leading up to the Second during which took place:
- The overdue and disruptive demise of an old monarchical social and political order across Europe
- WWI itself which scattered Freud’s family, followers and patients into zones of combat, loss and other perils.
- The 1918-19 Influenza Pandemic which claimed Freud’s beloved daughter, Sophie along with millions of other people around the world.
- The rise of Nazism and other nationalistic ideologies.
Amidst these shattering and formative events Freud’s passion for honesty, for love and for work proved indomitable and inspired the movement which has become ours to continue. Freud’s is a life for our times in ways we have yet to discover. Come read and discover together in this summer’s reading seminar.
- To increase knowledge of how Freud’s biography and historical context influenced the development of his theories and techniques of psychoanalysis.
- To prepare participants for a closer reading, understanding and appreciation of Freud’s life and work and its lasting relevance.
- To increase awareness of the ways all psychotherapist’s perspectives and theoretical/technical preferences are shaped by biographical and historical/cultural contexts.
- To provide an environment for dialogue in which students are encouraged to make connections between reading assignments and their own clinical and life experiences.
- To familiarize students with the literature of psychoanalysis and how it’s reading can enrich their work.
*LOCATION: LIVE VIDEO CONFERENCE*
Time: 9:00-10:15 AM
Dates: May 2, 9. 16, 30; June 6, 13, 20, 27
Credits/CEU’s: 10 hours
Required Text: Gay, Peter. 1998. Freud- A life for Our Time. W.W. Norton & Co. ISBN 0-393-31826-5 pbk
Cost: $125.00. Note: this course is being offered at a significant discount in recognition of the financial and other stresses many are dealing with during this COVID19 Pandemic.
*Continuing Education for Counselors and Social Workers
PSP has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6637. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. PSP is solely responsible for all aspects of the program. Participants are eligible to earn CE hours based on the number of groups attended and completion of a brief course evaluation.
The State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors has preapproved NBCC as a provider of continuing education courses and programs for Marriage and Family Therapists, Professional Counselors and Clinical Social Workers.